Zimbabwe crisis: Army takes over, says Mugabe is safe


The military has taken control in Zimbabwe but said President Robert Mugabe, in power since 1980, was safe.

After seizing state TV, an army spokesman announced it was targeting people close to Mr Mugabe.

South Africa's President Jacob Zuma later said he had spoken to Mr Mugabe who had indicated that he "was confined to his home but said that he was fine".

The move may be a bid to replace Mr Mugabe with his sacked deputy, Emmerson Mnangagwa, BBC correspondents say.

The dismissal of Mr Mnangagwa last week had left Mr Mugabe's wife Grace as the president's likely successor.

Heavy gun and artillery fire could be heard in northern parts of the capital Harare early on Wednesday.

A statement read out by a general on air denied it was a coup. There was no immediate word from the president himself.

Mr Mugabe, 93, has dominated the impoverished country's political scene since independence from the UK.

Mr Zuma earlier said he hoped events in Zimbabwe would not lead to "unconstitutional changes of government".

Messages appeared on a Twitter account purportedly run by the ruling Zanu-PF party saying Mr Mugabe had been detained. But there has been no confirmation by the army and it is not clear who runs the account.

China, Zimbabwe's biggest trading partner, says it is closely watching the situation and hopes that the relevant parties can properly handle their internal affairs.

Troops in armoured vehicles have been out in the streets of the capital Harare since Tuesday.

After soldiers overran the headquarters of the ZBC broadcaster, Maj Gen Sibusiso Moyo went on air to say the military wished to "assure the nation that his Excellency the president... and his family are safe and sound and their security is guaranteed".

"We are only targeting criminals around him who are committing crimes... that are causing social and economic suffering in the country," he said.

"As soon as we have accomplished our mission, we expect that the situation will return to normalcy."

Other key points of the statement include:
Citizens should remain calm and limit unnecessary movement
The military assures the Zimbabwean judiciary that its independence is guaranteed
Security services should "co-operate for the good of our country" and any provocation would "be met with an appropriate response"
All leave for the defence forces is cancelled and personnel should return to barracks immediately

It is not clear who is leading the military action.

Army chief Gen Constantino Chiwenga, who visited China last week, said on Monday the army was prepared to act to end purges within Zanu-PF.

bbc
Zimbabwe crisis: Army takes over, says Mugabe is safe Zimbabwe crisis: Army takes over, says Mugabe is safe Reviewed by Nene Sochi-Okereke on Wednesday, 15 November 2017 Rating: 5

No comments:

Theme images by nicodemos. Powered by Blogger.